A collection of links related to the Climate Emergency.
Youth Climate Activists
- Takaya Blainey
I fight for the recognition of rights for both Indigenous people and the environment. I call for a worldwide full implementation of the UN declaration of the rights of Indigenous peoples and adoption and full implementation of the declaration of the rights of Mother Earth. These visions and aspirations for a bright and beautiful future are more than dreams, they are missions. It is one thing to chase your dream, it is another to chase your future.
- Eve, The 9 year old climate activist
- Indigenous Youth for Wet’suwet’en
- Greta Thunberg
- Lilly Platt : Netherlands -started activism at 7 years old
- Ridhima Pandey : India – started activism at 8 years old
- Ridhima Pandey : YouTube
- Daphne Frias : New York – “ People with disabilities are really affected by climate change. We don’t have the privilege to be able to up and leave when a natural disaster occurs”
- Catarina Lorenzo : Brazil – As a young girl swimming among the coral reefs in the South Atlantic ocean she noticed the coral were turning white and dying. This is what moved her to become an activist.
- Catrine Lorenzo: YouTube
- Ayisha Siddiqua – “I came to the United States from Pakistan when I was six years old.” Where she is from there was extreme poverty and the river massively polluted with water sources difficult to filter and clean. This dirty water has contributed to many illnesses including polio ad malaria. “Pakistan contributes less than 1% of the global greenhouse gas emissions but is the 8th most affected from climate change.”
- Vanessa Nakate : From Uganda was 22 years old when she stood alone outside the Parliament of Uganda in Kampala to strike for the climate. “I realized that the climate crisis was one of the biggest threats we are facing right now, even though it wasn’t making the headlines in the news here.”
- Rise Up Movement to amplify and strengthen the voices of activists from Africa. “Youth activists of colour are often left out of the climate movement.”
- Covering Climate Now – Stories of Youth Activists
- Global Citizen – 7 Youth Climate activists
- Young Australian climate activists
- School climate strikers urge boycott of Science Museum show over Shell deal
- Book : Girl Warriors – How Young Activists are Saving the Earth
- UBC divests 380 million from fossil fuel– students protest
- Ecological opinions of Charley Krebs and Judy Myers (UBC) on Old Growth Logging: